Well, we've put our offer in - but there's another open viewing this Thursday, so I can't honestly see them coming back to us until after that. I have the yips.
I am also having to deal with Kate Madness. For some reason she has *seriously* taken against the place. As we were driving towards it on Tuesday I could feel her attitude changing from neutrally interested to really, really negative; and once we'd arrived there, she literally went around gathering negative points, some of which were realistic and some of which were completely made up.
It's quite unlike her - she does get bees in the bonnet about things, but not normally this badly. For example, she has been telling me that the house will cost thousands to put right. It won't. It needs a bit of a kitchen revamp and a bathroom revamp at some point; but everything else is in better decorative (and structural) order than our current house.
And for some reason the fact that it is ten minutes drive from the very-well-supplied-with-facilities village is a HUGE, HUGE no-no for her. I have been asked a million times how I'll feel living there on my own while B is away (very happy, because my next door neighbour won't be able to see whenever I turn the kitchen light on and phone me for a chat); told that the baby will probably be mentally scarred because it won't have friends living next door to socialise with (thanks, that's very helpful); told that it's not a fit house to bring a baby up in (this from the woman who is VERY keen for us to live in a caravan on a building site over the winter whilst doing a strawbale build) because of 'all the work that needs doing to it' (what work?); and so on, ad nauseam.
I am, to be honest, getting a bit fed up.
There is a possible issue with the water supply - it is spring fed and for the last few years the house has only been used as a weekend cottage - so the vendor is (uncharacteristically honestly, I thought) not able to vouch that it will hold up all year round under constant use. However, the house has been there since about 1750, so we feel that it is safe to assume (ok, perhaps wrongly) that the supply is relatively constant. And if it's not - well, we have the budget for a borehole. And other people manage to bath in mud. So why shouldn't we?
So all things considered, I have not yet quite reached the point where I snap and shout "it's us that's going to live there and we like it, so for goodness sake please put a maternal sock in it". But that time is fast approaching. B may have to have that conversation - I get a sneaking suspicion that there may be an element of "Ally is pushing B in to this" going on ... which is not true at all. If anything, he was more positive about the inside of the place than I was.
Anyway, let's move on. Nothing to see here.
I have spend the day sorting out quotes and fillocking around with paperwork. I have also done some broody-chicken rearrangement - two broodies were mothering eight chicks between them - but this morning when I went up there, Broody 1 was pecking some of the chicks, whilst Broody 2 was happily mothering them all. Result - Broody 1 is back in her pen with her husband, childless, whilst Broody 2 has all eight. Call me heartless, but providing counselling for poultry with attachment issues is right at the bottom of my list of priorities at the moment.
I think I deserve tea. And possibly cake. So for today, that is all. Ha!