Today, thanks to SheWeevil, I will be talking about my useless bits of stuff place and the useless bits of stuff that are in it.
Where to start.
I have a small Useless Bits Of Stuff Box beside the bed. It contains three safety pins, an adaptor to convert DMX cable from five pin to three pin, a massage thingy with wooden nobbles on and a bookmark.
I have a larger Useless Bits of Stuff Basket on top of the wine rack in the dining room, containing:
- Various maps, mostly of the Leicester area but also including Watford and the Netherlands
- A handbook for the Morris Minor Centre in Bath
- Some old sewing patterns
- Some old photos, including one of B's first girlfriend
- A jiggly puzzle thingy that my sister gave me for christmas and I've not been able to do
- Two retired cameras dating from pre-digital days
- Some letters from Aunt Lucy in Ontario
- A hanging thing that Crazy Tom brought me back from Africa
- A recorder
- A small wooden box with some old pound notes and francs in it, made by an Hungarian refugee in a camp in County Limerick during World War Two
- A selection of dried up board markers
- A photo album that refuses to keep the photos inside
We have an Antique Useless Chamber Pot on a shelf in the hall cupboard, containing:
- A brass candlestick
- A melted candle
- A roll of gaffer tape
- A thingy to attached your bike lock to your bike
- Some rawl plugs
- Two flat batteries
- One of those foot things you put under bed feet to stop them marking the carpet
- A small ceramic whale
I have a Genuine Useless Bits of Stuff pile on the coffee table in the sitting room, which largely contains back issues of New Scientist and bits of paper that are Too Important to Throw Away but aren't actually fileable.
None of this compares with the Aunt of a friend of my mother's, who had three bags under her sink, filled with string.
One was labelled "Pieces of string over ten inches long".
One was labelled "Pieces of string four to ten inches long".
And one was labelled "Pieces of string too small to be of any use".
I think this might be a good meme. Let us know in the comments section if you do it ... .