We have been doing some serious thinking about where we are going with starting a family. Today I went to see the doctor to get a bit more information about the hospital tests he has referred me for. It's the first time I've been confident enough to go and see a GP on my own since I moved here, which was a big step forward in itself.
It will take at least eight to ten weeks for the appointment to come through, and the process would involve some or all of:
- blood tests to see if my ovaries are working
- having dye blown down my tubes to see if they are blocked
- possible drug treatment to stimulate ovulation
- the option of IVF if other things don't work
However, he also clarified the fact that one shouldn't be on SSRI-type medication whilst one is pregnant. So if I catch, I will have to come off them.
This seemed like a less good plan.
We have therefore made the decision to call a halt to the tests. If we do conceive, then that is great. However, because I suffer from endometriosis, it is possible that this won't happen naturally.
I have just made an initial phone call to our local adoption agency. They are going to call me back.